Kale seems to be plentiful in the spring and even in winter my local supermarket shelves are awash with their green leaves so I am always trying to find new ways to accommodate this super food.
I cooked this creamy risotto with my daughter recently and we decided that was one of our best Family recipes! Because it ticks all three criteria: it is quick, contains no more than 4/5 main ingredients and is a very balanced and healthy food.
- Drop of olive oil
- Shallots, 2
- Ebly (or barley grains) 200g
- Water 400ml
- White miso, 50g or two tablespoons
- Blanched kale, two big handful- hard stalks removed
- Fresh sorrel, 1 small bunch
- Soya cream and olive oil to finish off
- Black pepper and salt to season after cooking
Nutrition notes: Ebly is a complex carb and rich in fibre; Kale is rich in antioxidants and vitamins (K, A and C). Together they make a super energising and cleansing food, ideal for a macrobiotic or vegetarian option. The white miso paste is a staple of the macrobiotic diet and allows good bacteria to grow in your guts and to provide good digestion.